New York News
Rockaways residents rally for power after Sandy
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Six weeks ago, Superstorm Sandy devastated the area.
While it seems so many of us are moving on, somehow, thousands are still without power and stuck in a kind of hurricane hell.
Hundreds of people gathered in the hard hit Rockaways, demanding not just help, but also that they not be forgotten.
It's been six weeks now and Luis Casco's bungalow in far Rockaway remains a boarded up mess .
There's still no power, no heat, and the mold is growing unchecked.
In the first few nights after Sandy, the 22-year-old and his roommates slept together and on the stove desperate for warmth.
Monday night, Casco joined hundreds of other Far Rockaway residents demanding help.
They have suffered long enough and they fear they have become the city's forgotten.
Various churches and synagogues organized the gathering to make sure officials hear their cry.
FEMA sent dozens of representatives to need with the crowd. The first step is applying for aid.
For Casco, he lives at a local church now and spending his time handing out supplies to other displaced families.
He has no idea when he'll be allowed back home.
Eyewitness News is told 10,000 residents are still without power there. Organizers are setting a deadline that power and heat be restored by December 31. That's almost 9 weeks. They feel they've been patient long enough.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, rockaways, hurricane sandy, new york news, lucy yang
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night 35 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro-North: train outage expected for days 45 min ago
- Tornadoes hit Kansas, Oklahoma; no injuries reported 30 min ago
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police 49 min ago
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- Bruins top Rangers 5-2 22 min ago
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Graduation takes somber tone at Hofstra...
50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
35 min ago
- Investigators continue to examine Metro...
45 min ago