New York News
Man says NYPD made him rap before freeing him
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Brooklyn man says he was forced to rap for NYPD cops in order to get out of an arrest.
He says the officers told him if his rap wasn't good enough they wouldn't let him go.
"$30,000 in pocket that's loose change. I throw a billion in the sky like Bruce Wayne," said Quinshon Shingles lyrics.
Quinshon Shingles says those are the words that set him free.
The aspiring rapper known as "Sauce Da Boss" has filed a lawsuit against the NYPD.
Shingles says officers from the 75th precinct unlawfully entered his cousin's apartment at Lincoln Plaza Towers two years ago and handcuffed him.
After learning of his rapping skills, he says the cops made him an offer.
"They said let me hear you rap and if it's good enough we'll let you go," Shingles said.
The 27-year-old says the whole humiliating experience squashed his artistic creativity.
Only recently did he return to the recording studio.
"I felt like the old days, slavery. Like dance for the master, dance and sing for the master. It just messed me up inside," Shingles said.
Shingles says his lawsuit isn't about money. It's about doing what's right.
"This is about me being able to tell my story so this won't happen to another kid. This is outrageous. This is very disrespectful," Shingles said.
A police spokesman says the department has no comment because the litigation is pending.
Meantime, "Sauce Da Boss" who raps about the struggles of growing up, says he may now have a whole new struggle to rap about.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, joe torres
- 90-minute delays linger after LIRR service suspension 38 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody 56 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures