$1,000 penny released into circulation
(New York -WABC, April 18, 2006) (WABC) -- See a penny, pick it up, and if you're lucky it's worth a thousand bucks.
Scott Travers, Coin Collector: "It's fun it's exciting and for someone who finds one of these pennies it's going to be profitable too."
Scott Travers, author and coin connoisseur, is putting three pricey pennies randomly into circulation, all to raise interest in coin collecting.
Scott Travers, Coin Collector: "I want people to look at their pocket change and understand there's excitement and the potential for profit."
And what a profit it is. He is circulating a 1914 'D' (minted in Denver) Lincoln cent valued at $300. He's already released a 1908 'S' (for San Francisco) Indian Head penny valued at $200, and today he'll release a 1909 'S VDB' valued at a whopping $1,000 on the streets.
Here's what to look for on that 1909, $1,000 penny:
On the back, on the bottom, between the two stocks of wheat are the initials 'VDB' for the man who engraved the coin. Donald Brigandi, at Brigandi Coin Co. also has a 1909 'S VDB' worth a pretty penny.
Charles Perez: "What's the value on a coin like this?"
Donald Brigandi, Brigandi Coin Co.: "This is $1,200."
So the next time you stop at the corner deli to pick something up you may get more back than just a little change. Travers spent his first penny buying a street corner pretzel.
Now, who's to say where he'll spend the others, and who may knowingly, or unknowingly, pick it up.
Scott Travers, Coin Collector: "1909 'S VDB' Lincoln cent, a $1,000 in your pocket change. Go out there and find the coin."
- Two East Harlem explosion victims identified
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem
- Dozens homeless after East Harlem buildings destroyed
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Investigators focus on an old cast-iron gas pipeline
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media
- Video: Damage throughout neighborhood after East...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
2 min ago