Earth Day 2014
April 22, 2014 (WABC) -- At some point in one's life we realize that the story we're telling we have told before. How to react? That's life? I'm sorry? Ask, "did I really already tell you that?"
I say this because I definitely, positively, 100 percent know I've written this before, on a previous Earth Day. But I'm going to write it anyway, again. And so what does that say about me? Is it a "get off my lawn" moment?
I remember the first Earth Day in 1970 on my college campus - San Diego State University. There were speakers, and programs, and seminars, and lots of brown rice and vegetables. We had no idea at the time that the issues being discussed at the time, like clean air and water, pollution, and our impact on the environment, would, 44 years later, still be relevant. Alas.
Yes, I know, much debate about climate change, and humans' role in it. And we can argue back and forth about it. But the smartest thing I read today cuts a Solomonesque argument, and it was made by former New York Mayor Bloomberg. "Skeptical about climate change?" he Tweeted. "Basic risk-management practices should prompt us to take action."
Sometimes, it's advisable to listen to a guy who has built a $28 billion fortune from nada.
I'm just sayin'.
So no matter whether you believe climate change/global warming to be garbage or just around the corner, basic risk-management practices couldn't hurt, right?
So Earth Day is the back beat as we prep our 11 p.m. newscast.
We'll have all the breaking news of the night, and the latest on that amazing 13-year-old boy, Gama Droiville, who was released from the hospital, 8 days after he was shot in the face on the streets of Brooklyn. Our Jim Dolan interviewed him on camera last night, from his hospital bed, and how impressive is this kid, right? Telling us he forgave the thug who shot him. Wow.
Also at 11, we'll have the latest on the police shooting in Garfield, New Jersey (one cop shot, one suspect shot), plus Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 4 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 3 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos