Source: Madoff fell out of bed, suffers injuries
DURHAM, NC (WABC) -- A source tells Eyewitess News' sister station in Raleigh that disgraced financier Bernie Madoff is being treated for serious injuries after he fell out of his prison bed.
ABC11 Eyewitness News first reported that Madoff had injuries consistent with an assault. Now, the source says Madoff was not attacked in prison, but that he fell off a bed onto his face. The source said there was a lot of facial bleeding.
Sources also confirmed Madoff was treated at Duke University Medical Center in Durham last Friday and discharged earlier this week.
He is serving a 150-year sentence at the federal prison in Butner after admitting to cheating investors out of billions of dollars.
According to the sources, Madoff came to Duke with facial fractures, broken ribs and a collapsed lung.
Prison officials won't confirm that. They say the 71-year-old is now in the medical clinic at the prison in Butner.
According a report by the Associated Press, Madoff's lawyer - Ira Sorkin - said his client was not assaulted, but "had some dizzy spells and some high blood pressure."
The AP reported Duke University Medical Center earlier said Madoff had been treated there, but later a spokeswoman said the hospital had never had a patient by that name.
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent 31 min ago
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 24 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act