Source: Madoff fell out of bed, suffers injuries
DURHAM, NC (WABC) -- A source tells Eyewitess News' sister station in Raleigh that disgraced financier Bernie Madoff is being treated for serious injuries after he fell out of his prison bed.
ABC11 Eyewitness News first reported that Madoff had injuries consistent with an assault. Now, the source says Madoff was not attacked in prison, but that he fell off a bed onto his face. The source said there was a lot of facial bleeding.
Sources also confirmed Madoff was treated at Duke University Medical Center in Durham last Friday and discharged earlier this week.
He is serving a 150-year sentence at the federal prison in Butner after admitting to cheating investors out of billions of dollars.
According to the sources, Madoff came to Duke with facial fractures, broken ribs and a collapsed lung.
Prison officials won't confirm that. They say the 71-year-old is now in the medical clinic at the prison in Butner.
According a report by the Associated Press, Madoff's lawyer - Ira Sorkin - said his client was not assaulted, but "had some dizzy spells and some high blood pressure."
The AP reported Duke University Medical Center earlier said Madoff had been treated there, but later a spokeswoman said the hospital had never had a patient by that name.
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 50 min ago
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 14 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
14 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby...
33 min ago