Dying in 2010 saves Steinbrenner financially
NEW YORK (WABC) -- George Steinbrenner as principal owner of the New York Yankees has an estate estimated at $1.1 billion by Forbes Magazine.
INTERACTION: SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON 'THE BOSS'
With Congress allowing the Federal Estate Tax to lapse during 2010, Steinbrenner's estate could end up not having to pay hundreds of millions of dollars.
"In the sense of protecting his $1.15 billion fortune this was an opportune time, for Mr. Steinbrenner to pass away," said Michael Ozanian, National Editor of Forbes.
in 2009, with the estate tax at 45 percent, the tax liability could be almost $500-million. In 2011, with the top rate expected to be 55 percent, the tax liability would have been closer to $600 million.
"One thing they could do is pass along the estate to his wife in which there would be no estate tax," adds Ozanian.
Enormous tax responsibilities, in the past, have carried a hefty price tag.
The family of P.K. Wrigley was forced to sell the Chicago Cubs to pay taxes on Wrigley's estate after his death in 1977.
In the case of the Yankees, reportedly estate planning issues for a transfer to Steinbrenner's children have be dealt with.
Yankees president Randy Levine tells the Associated Press, "There are no succession issues, and that the team will not be sold."
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
new york yankees, george steinbrenner, eyewitness news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos