The jobs report
July 6, 2011 (WABC) -- What's my dad's old saying about liars figuring but figures not lying?
It's on the front burner tonight, with a new labor report about jobs.
The headline is juicy - men are getting jobs since the "recovery started" in June, 2009, by a margin of 768,000 to 218,000. That's the net job change since then.
But if you take a look at the numbers since the recession started back in December, 2007, men took it much harder than women. The figures: men are down 4.9 million jobs. Women lost 2.4 million.
Of course no matter what the gender breakdown, the situation is dreadful. Job creation is simply not happening in the volume that the country needs. There's much brouhaha about how much the nearly $700 billion stimulus package has helped - and if you do the math about the 1 million new jobs, it's a fairly significant per-job cost.
But the flip side of that is how many jobs would have been created had there not been a stimulus package. And how do we really judge that anyway? I'm just sayin'.
We'll have the latest on the economy, tonight at 11.
We'll also have the latest on the angry reaction to the stunning verdict in the Casey Anthony case. The acquittal of the 25-year-old mother sent shock waves around the country - at least to the people who followed the case. And there were many of those.
How can a mom not be penalized for not reporting her child missing for more than a month? Or for acknowledging that, yes, her child drowned and she panicked? Something. We'll have reaction at 11.
And now that we're deep into summer, a pretty cool idea from some architects to build a floating swimming pool either in the Hudson or the East River. What would it look like? And what are the drawbacks? Darla Miles has our story tonight.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg with his AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- Police investiate possible bias attack on Broadway
- NYPD detective accused of hacking, spying on associates
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Photos: Most Wanted: Yonkers Police Department
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
14 min ago
- Crews race to find survivors after Oklahoma...
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos