Playing it by ear
January 20, 2012 (WABC) -- So for the first time since last winter - my family faces a tough decision: Do we drive to our Saturday destination in the morning?
My pal - Meteorologist Lee Goldberg - looks at me like I'm a little mashugana when I tell him I'm leaving at 8:30 a.m. He knows after all these years that of course I'm supposed to be driving in the middle of the storm. It seems to happen to me every time there's a storm.
So now, after Lee's look, I've switched the Saturday morning family agenda from "we're a go" to "we're playing it by ear."
And I know I'm not alone. After the mildest of winters in, oh, the better part of a decade, we're getting a fairly healthy dose of snow. Three to six inches is what the estimate is across the region - higher perhaps in the higher elevations.
Not exactly what we experienced the last few years with those huge snow totals - more than 5 feet of it last season. But enough to make the weekend a white one. Lee's tracking the storm, and will have the latest tonight at 11.
Also at 11, our investigative reporter Jim Hoffer takes a closer look at that giant billboard that collapsed last week on the BQE. Turns out it was an illegal billboard. And Jim's investigation has discovered there are illegal billboards all over New York City - owned by companies that owe the City millions in unpaid fines.
And we'll have the latest from the campaign trail - where Republicans are making last-minute appeals to voters in South Carolina ahead of that state's primary tomorrow. Polls show Mitt Romney's support slipping a tad, while Newt Gingrich has gained a tad.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers in San Francisco with a preview of the Giants vs. 49'ers championship game this Sunday.
I hope you can join Liz Cho (in for Sade Baderinwa) and me, tonight at 11, right after 20/20.
PS: We invite you to watch our Operation 7 Save A Life campaign special, tomorrow night at 7, on Ch. 7. It's chock-full of important fire safety and prevention tips that could save your life and the lives of people you love.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos