Spotting the shuttle
April 27, 2012 (WABC) -- Did you see it? The first space shuttle making its "last" flight over New York? Enterprise, the prototype for all the shuttles that followed, piggybacking on a 747 and landing at JFK - as it prepares to move to its newest final home, the Intrepid on the Hudson River.
Before it landed, it treated folks in New York and New Jersey to quite a sight - flying over landmarks and airports as a sort of here-I-am, Welcome Wagon fly by.
And yes, the Enterprise was named after the old Star Trek space craft. And yes, neither ever really flew in space.
The truth is, this whole thing has a consolation prize theme to it. New York's getting the Enterprise only because its former last resting place - the Smithsonian - decided to house the Discovery shuttle. That left Enterprise homeless. So the Intrepid Museum on the West Side of Manhattan was selected.
And now, as the great saying goes, you know the rest of the story.
If you missed it, we'll have the fly-over highlights, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, we'll have the latest on the charges against Detroit Tigers baseball player Delmon Young, who faces hate crime charges tonight after he allegedly spewed anti-Semitic epithets at a homeless man in a skull cap outside the team's hotel in Midtown Manhattan.
And we have the story of a family - moving from Arizona to Long Island - who lost just about all their belongings thanks to a bad experience with a moving company. The family turned to Nina Pineda and 7 On Your Side for help, and what follows is a lesson for all of us.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's weekend AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11, right after 20/20.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos