The Mayor and the heliport
May 22, 2012 (WABC) -- Playing by the rules. It's something your parents drummed into your head. So did your teachers. So did anyone else who had any ounce of wisdom.
Tonight - an Eyewitness News investigation into people who aren't playing by the rules. And in this case - one of the people is the most powerful man in New York.
Michael R. Bloomberg.
Our investigative reporter Jim Hoffer has a rather disturbing story of hizzoner not playing the rules - at least when it comes to his private helicopter.
He's been using the heliport at the East River on 34th Street during hours that the heliport is supposed to be closed. Residents around the heliport fought hard for years to have a strict curfew at the heliport - during the early morning and late night hours, and all weekend.
But Jim tonight shows us video of Mr. Bloomberg taking off and landing - many, many times - when the heliport is supposed to be closed.
So why isn't the Mayor - and the others who use their private choppers at the heliport - playing by the rules?
It's an especially fascinating contradiction for Mr. Bloomberg, who has done more than any other New York City Mayor in getting laws passed that impose strict rules on how the rest of us behave.
Rules that make us better - like not smoking, and being aware of the calories and fats we're eating, and making sure that we're eating in restaurants that are clean and not infested by vermin.
Rules that everyone is supposed to live by.
Do those who don't live by the rules view themselves as exempt? Are the rich entitled to live by their own set of rules, and ignore the ones (they've passed) for everyone else?
Hoffer's story tonight at 11 is must-see TV.
I'm just sayin'.
Before Jim's story, we have the two-hour finale of Dancing With The Stars, with a winner about to be selected. Our Sandy Kenyon - flying into Los Angeles well within the airport curfew - is backstage with the winner, at 11.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx 21 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Dave Jennings, former Giants punter, dies 18 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in Nassau County
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Strollers recalled due to wheel blowouts , Kolcraft says
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos