June 12, 2012 (WABC) -- Shut the front door! What were they thinking, the people or person who made the fake Mayday call, claiming the yacht they were on, "Blind Date," had exploded and 21 people on board were in lifeboats?
The U.S. Coast Guard, rightly taking the call seriously, dispatched rescue boats and Medivac helicopters to Sandy Hook, New Jersey, and to the waters 17 miles off shore.
They looked for the yacht, for debris, for the lifeboats and the victims. They found nothing. It quickly became clear this was all just a hoax, but even then the Coast Guard officially kept on the case, just in case.
Now, after rescuers risked their lives and spent untold thousands of taxpayer dollars, the Coast Guard is offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of whoever pulled off this fake Mayday call that sparked a huge response.
Turns out, this so-called "Swat-ing" is a disturbing trend in the country people calling in fake emergencies just to see crisis teams deploy.
I'm just sayin'.
We'll have the latest on the attempts to find the fake yacht-explosion-culprits, tonight after the NBA Finals.
Two signs-of-the-times stories worth noting.
The first is for folks who travel abroad. United Airlines despite the lower cost of fuel and skepticism over the economies in Europe has increased the price of a second checked bag for international passengers, from $70 to $100.
Bound to win friends.
And then there's the Nobel prize people, who now say that future laureates will receive 20 percent less in prize money. The reason? The Nobel Foundation says that costs are exceeding returns from investment on its capital.
Plus it's about the status, right? Not the money, right?
Also tonight, we'll have any breaking news, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's Accuweather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Liz Cho (in for Sade), tonight after Game One of the NBA Finals.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- 1 dead, 1 rescued when car ends up in Huntington Harbor 50 min ago
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers