Robins Roberts Makes a Difference
June 13, 2012 (WABC) -- You go Robin Roberts. Since Robin's announcement on Monday that she would need a bone marrow transplant the number of transplant volunteers has shot up more than 1000%.
Talk about an impact.
And my old pal, in adversity, is once again changing the way we view the medical conditions.
So while it's great and wonderful that Robin's in so many people's thoughts, let's not ever lose sight of the pride we feel about how she lives her life.
I'm just sayin'.
Meanwhile, we're working on several stories for our 11 p.m. newscast including looking ahead to the traffic messes you can expect from yet another visit by Pres. Obama to Manhattan. He'll be at the World Trade Center site, but he'll also be attending some shocker fundraising activities.
And we're in Midtown Manhattan, where guests at the Hilton hotel are in for a tough ride thanks to a fire and power outage. Lots of guests can't get back into their rooms and it could remain like that, without power, till tomorrow or even Friday.
We're also following the big news involving Lance Armstrong the seven-time Tour de France winner.
The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has brought formal doping charges against the famous cyclist claiming he engaged in a huge doping conspiracy from 1998 to 2011, when he retired from cycling. He's now competing in triathlons or make that was competing. Because of these formal charges, he's been immediately banned from the grueling competitions.
In addition, we're told that these charges, if they stick, could result in Armstrong getting stripped of his Tour de France titles the contests that made him rich and famous and a household name.
Did he win by using drugs? Armstrong denies he used drugs, and says the charges are "motivated by spite and advanced through testimony bought and paid for by promises of anonymity and immunity."
We'll have the latest at 11.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Liz Cho (in for Sade) and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 24 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New York City issues snow alert
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday 45 min ago
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Christie appointee resigns amid probe
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- JFK customs seize cocaine in hair care products 54 min ago
- NY lawmakers to announce legislation preventing bridge tolls
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing 31 min ago
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
24 min ago