Beginning of the end of summer
June 20, 2012 (WABC) -- Happy Summer! At 7:09 p.m., give or take a few seconds, the sun will climb to its northern most point away from the equator, making today the longest day of the year.
From here till late December, the days get shorter. Which is why - to my family's hair-pulling frustration - I like to say, on the day after the start of summer, "summer's over."
Is it me being silly, or do I have some inherent snarkiness and negativity?
I'll let you be the judge.
Anyway, maybe you've heard some peeps saying, "summer starts tomorrow." Wrong. It starts today/tonight. Tomorrow is the first FULL DAY of summer.
I'm just summerin' - er, I mean, sayin'.
Meanwhile, in case you hadn't noticed, it's hot out there. And it's about to get hotter tomorrow. Imagine that - just as summer's starting to end!
Lee Goldberg's tracking the heat - and the likely heat wave, what with three consecutive days of more than 90-degrees predicted - and we'll have reporters out in it tonight at 11.
Also at 11, we'll have the latest in the political spitting match between Republican Congressman Darrell Issa and Pres. Obama, especially his Attorney General Eric Holder. The President today invoking the get-out-jail-free-card "executive privilege" that allows Holder to withhold hundreds of documents from Congress - and not face contempt charges for refusing to turn the docs over.
The issue is the government's botched "Fast and Furious" operation that allowed weapons bought in the U.S. to cross into Mexico.
We're also keep tabs on a serial killer expected to land tonight in New York from California to face additional charges of killing two women here in the 1970s. Rodney Alcala is on a plane right now with U.S. Marshals. He's already been convicted of killing several women in California.
And under the bonehead-of-the-day story, consider Joe The Plumber, remember him from the 2008 Presidential race? Joe Wurzelbacher (that's his real name) is making news in his bid for Congress in northern Ohio by saying he blames gun control for the Holocaust. Hitler instituted gun control in Nazi Germany, and "Joe" in a campaign video this week, seemed to blame the genocide of the Jews during World War II on that gun control.
The reaction was predictable and rapid. And overwhelmingly against the Plumber-who's-trying-to-become-a-politician.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken 16 min ago
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 37 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog 19 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 28 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen