Did you know there was a primary today?
June 26, 2012 (WABC) -- So what were you doing during the last Presidential-year primary 4 years ago? Chances are, you were voting in the Republican and the Democratic primaries. Of course, they were in February, not June, and the races were very much up for grabs.
The primaries meant something back in 2008, especially when New York was part of Super Tuesday.
What a difference 4 years make. How many people do you know who are voting today? How many people do you know who voted in 2008?
While the Presidential races are decided - except for that formal little thing called the nominating convention - there are several important local races that will be settled tonight.
And tonight at 11, we're all over them.
The biggest involve Democratic Congressman Charles Rangel, who is seeking his 22nd term as the representative of Harlem. He has more competition than ever before - mostly because of all the controversy and allegations surrounding his finances. Will he survive a challenge from State Senator Adriano Espaillat?
We're also looking at a Congressional race in Brooklyn, where the incumbent Edolphus Towns is retiring, and the primary is a battle between Assemblyman Hakeem Jeffries and New York City Councilman Charles Barron. It's an incredibly heated race. The moderate Jeffries versus the firebrand Barron.
We're also following the Republican primary in the race to take on incumbent U.S. Senator Kristen Gillibrand.
Congressman Ed Turner - who just last year won that seat when Anthony Weiner resigned - is one of three trying to secure the GOP nomination.
We'll have all the results from today's primaries, tonight at 11. And throughout the night you can keep abreast of the results by CLICKING HERE: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/elections/local/results.
And we're following developments in Washington that could affect millions of students who rely on loans to get to and through college. Sources say there's a deal close to completion that would prevent student loan rates from doubling next week. Stay tuned.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Diana Williams (in for Sade) and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen