Raising the yacht, searching for answers
July 11, 2012 (WABC) -- The owners of the boat that capsized a week ago tonight - and killed 3 kids - insist there weren't too many people on board their vessel. 27 passengers on a 32-foot pleasure boat.
But it's hard to imagine that many people on board as we watched the boat raised this afternoon from the bottom of the Long Island Sound in Oyster Bay. The manufacturer's manual recommends a maximum of 10 adults on that boat.
I found myself getting emotional as the ship was raised, knowing that the children were in the cabin when the boat flipped over and sunk.
Tonight at 11, we're in Oyster Bay and you'll see what's happening to the boat now.
Also at 11, oh what a web we've woven. Is the NYPD's controversial stop-and-frisk policy, which many say unfairly targeted innocent ethnic minorities, one of the reasons the cops now can't seem to get a handle on the big increase in shootings in New York City? There are many who say it is - that young minorities are so skeptical and cautious and distrusting of the cops that when they have information about a shooting, they won't cooperate.
Not sure if it's true, but if perception is reality, then this is a big problem.
And now another controversy - as leaders of New York's African American community are furious with NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly for criticizing their "shocking silence" about the dramatic increase in shootings in New York City.
The level of distrust and not-getting-along is shocking. And disturbing.
How to resolve it? That's what we'll take a look at.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Laura Behnke (in for Rob Powers) with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- New measles cases confirmed in New York City 3 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos