Rumbles of thunder
July 18, 2012 (WABC) -- It's not written anywhere that horrible heat has to be broken by horrible thunderstorms. It is NOT a fait accompli. But it sure feels like it is when it happens, which is frequently.
I think of my mom when it thunders. She was a brave and tough woman, except when it thundered. She'd curl up like a child. She was so scared of it, not that it thundered much in Southern California of course. But when it did, she'd react.
I did not inherit the scared-of-thunder gene, thankfully, but after last summer's storms, when our trees came down and lightning hit my home and then randomly attacked various appliances and devices and structures with no consideration to how much physical and financial damage it was doing, well, now, I'm channeling my mom a tad when it thunders and when I see lightning.
I see Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuTrack radar and I get nervous, knowing the destruction a storm can cause.
We're covering the storm and its effects, tonight at 11, as the heat wave breaks and folks mop up the damage.
We're also digging deeper on the disturbing GAO report released today that shows that, nearly 11 years after the Sept. 11 terror attacks, thousands of foreign flight students are not getting screened by a terror database until AFTER they've finished pilot training.
How in the world could this be happening? The 9/11 hijackers were able to take over and fly the four commercial airliners that crashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon because several of the terrorists had attended more than a dozen flight schools in the U.S. in the weeks leading up to the attacks.
It was pure evil but it was also brilliantly carried out. And to make sure it didn't happen again, the rules of flying changed for all of us. With the exception, apparently, of would-be terrorists who might want to learn how to fly a plane.
I'm just sayin'.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos