August 20, 2012 (WABC) -- I'm all for forgiveness. I am. And applause is wonderful for those who step out front and apologize for making comments or doing things that are wrong.
But I just can't wrap my head around the apology today from Congressman Todd Akin, the Republican who's running for the U.S. Senate in Missouri. He said during an interview that women are able to prevent themselves from getting pregnant during a "legitimate rape" by shutting down the whole experience - and that contraception is rare in such cases.
Akin has since apologized - he says the medical report he thought he remembered he now finds out what wrong. But even the most na´ve among us might find the mea culpa a wee bit thin.
Did I mention that Akin's on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology?
There are many of his colleagues urging him to NOT run for Senate and to end his campaign, and some funding sources apparently have pulled back. Mr. Akin insists he's not withdrawing.
We'll have the latest, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, a Republican Congressman from New York City - speaking out about the Sea of Galilee swimming scandal. It happened last summer - nearly 2 dozen lawmakers and their staffs, on a "fact-finding mission" to Israel when they took a dip in the Sea. Nothing unusual about that, except that one Congressman, it's been revealed, went skinny dipping. Now, the FBI is reportedly involved - looking into the $10,000-per-person reported cost and who paid for it.
We're also on top of the story about an abandoned newborn - just hours old - abandoned at a public housing project in Queens. The baby is apparently ok, but now cops are trying to find the mother.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win