The Republican nominee
August 28, 2012 (WABC) -- Sometime about 6 tonight, Mitt Romney will officially become his party's Presidential nominee.
He will pass the 1,144 delegates needed for the nomination as the Republican candidate - a fait accompli for the past several months to be sure, but nonetheless a magic moment. History I suppose.
Isaac has passed Tampa, but his shadow looms large, as the Cat 1 hurricane churns towards the Gulf Coast.
How will this affect the tone of tonight's first-night convention activities? We'll see. Ann Romney isn't expected to be the harsh orator; her job is to paint a kinder, gentler picture of her husband - the kind of picture many people believe he's had a difficult time painting on his own.
It's New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie who remains the big question mark. We all know he can offer up the "raw meat" stuff - but is that appropriate as Isaac starts his siege? Likely not.
His humor, as always, is full throttle. Today, speaking to the Michigan delegation, "this has basically got to be a 20 minute version of the Gettysburg address, or I'm in huge trouble."
Tonight at 11, we'll have complete coverage of the prime-time speeches.
Also at 11, we'll have the latest on Isaac. Meteorologist Lee Goldberg is tracking the hurricane - and our Jim Dolan is in New Orleans as that city gets tested for the first time since Katrina 7 years ago.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall