Mitt Romney's moment
August 30, 2012 (WABC) -- This Republican Convention began riding out a storm named Isaac.
It ends tonight - with its hopes for the future riding on a candidate named Mitt.
It's such a cliché - but it's also true: Mitt Romney tonight will deliver the speech of his life. For a man who counts his fortune in the tens of millions, he's now interested in just one number. 45. As in 45th President of the United States.
His speech tonight will go a long way towards determine whether - or not - he gets what he wants. Romney has never been on a national stage like he'll be on tonight. Alone, under the spotlight, and being watched and heard by millions.
Mr. Romney has run for President before - and he's been in countless debates and given hundreds of speeches. But the truth is most Americans don't know much about him and have never heard him. They will tonight.
Romney's father ran for President. And Romney has run before. Now he'll accept what has eluded his family for nearly half a century.
What will he say? What won't he say? Experts insist Mr. Romney will have to address his religion - he's the first Mormon to ever run. And they say he'll have to talk about his fortunes - he's the wealthiest nominee of a major political party. And they say he'll have to present a plan that's more than just anti-Obama.
So much riding on this speech.
And then afterwards, at 11, I'll be inside the convention with our political reporter Dave Evans with the highlights from the speech.
Also at 11, our Jim Dolan is in New Orleans, with the latest on the dramatic rescues and the aftermath of Hurricane Isaac. Meteorologist Lee Goldberg is tracking the remnants of the storm.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join us, tonight at 11.
One more note: tomorrow is a travel day, so this column will resume next Tuesday.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 30 min ago
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos