Mitt Romney's moment
August 30, 2012 (WABC) -- This Republican Convention began riding out a storm named Isaac.
It ends tonight - with its hopes for the future riding on a candidate named Mitt.
It's such a cliché - but it's also true: Mitt Romney tonight will deliver the speech of his life. For a man who counts his fortune in the tens of millions, he's now interested in just one number. 45. As in 45th President of the United States.
His speech tonight will go a long way towards determine whether - or not - he gets what he wants. Romney has never been on a national stage like he'll be on tonight. Alone, under the spotlight, and being watched and heard by millions.
Mr. Romney has run for President before - and he's been in countless debates and given hundreds of speeches. But the truth is most Americans don't know much about him and have never heard him. They will tonight.
Romney's father ran for President. And Romney has run before. Now he'll accept what has eluded his family for nearly half a century.
What will he say? What won't he say? Experts insist Mr. Romney will have to address his religion - he's the first Mormon to ever run. And they say he'll have to talk about his fortunes - he's the wealthiest nominee of a major political party. And they say he'll have to present a plan that's more than just anti-Obama.
So much riding on this speech.
And then afterwards, at 11, I'll be inside the convention with our political reporter Dave Evans with the highlights from the speech.
Also at 11, our Jim Dolan is in New Orleans, with the latest on the dramatic rescues and the aftermath of Hurricane Isaac. Meteorologist Lee Goldberg is tracking the remnants of the storm.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join us, tonight at 11.
One more note: tomorrow is a travel day, so this column will resume next Tuesday.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Gunman dead in shooting at Colorado high school 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday 37 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- New York City issues snow alert 31 min ago
- Man in custody after incident at Chelsea school 18 min ago
- Baruch College student died from head injuries, coroner says
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport 23 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 23 min ago
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday
37 min ago