Thinking about Robin
September 20, 2012 (WABC) -- I've got a bond with Robin Roberts that few know about it, and it means the world to me. I was the first news person she anchored with when she began the move from sports reporting to news. It was on the (now-expanded) Good Morning America/Sunday, way back when.
Robin was a giant of a sports anchor and reporter bringing insight and heart and humor and smarts to ESPN. When she said she wanted to try news, they sat her with me. I loved her from the start, her honesty and humanity, her grittiness and her sense of fun.
Her mom liked the way we got along, something Robin never hesitated to tell me; that her mom liked me. (Somehow I was always the guy who was liked more by the moms than the girls, I'm just sayin'.)
So tonight I'm thinking about my old pal, who just three months ago told the world she had a rare blood disease. Tonight she's in the hospital, after getting a bone marrow transplant. A transplant from her sister, who's a perfect match. A transplant just a few weeks after her mother died.
What a path Robin's been on. What a path she's heading to.
This is real life, with real risks. It's easy to lose sight of that because it's Robin, so strong in her body and her mind and her spirit. All that resonates with so many people we know because of the response on social media.
Tonight at 11, you'll see Robin, in the hospital, during the transplant. Our thoughts are with her, we're wearing her bracelets in support of her, and we know you're supporting her as well.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's in Nassau County 38 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers 1 min ago
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack 47 min ago
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- USA to open against Ghana in '14 World Cup