Christie admits NJ mishandled foreclosure program
October 2, 2012 (WABC) -- Not often that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he made a mistake - but that's exactly what he's done - after our investigation into a federally funded program that was supposed to help homeowners in trouble.
Hundreds of millions of dollars were earmarked for the program, but only $40 million was used to prevent foreclosures. You might remember Mr. Christie trying to quiet our investigative reporter Jim Hoffer last week when he asked questions about the program.
Now, the Governor acknowledging that, yes, the program should be active. And now he's making it so. But not before doing some trash talking about why he tried to quiet Jim at a news conference last week.
He said he thought Jim was interrupting a reporter from New Jersey. He wasn't. But here's what the Governor said: "I'm not going to let the home team get run over by the visiting team & not just because he yells a lot. Not just because he's from a New York television station. That doesn't get you anything here."
The good news is that homeowners faced with foreclosure will now have some help. We'll have the latest, tonight at 11.
We'll also preview the big debate tomorrow night - and look at what each Presidential candidate needs to do.
Also at 11, Meteorologist Lee Goldberg is tracking the rain that's lingering in our area. And Laura Behnke, in for Rob Powers who is recovering from shoulder surgery, is following the Yankees, who could clinch the division title tonight. If the weather cooperates.
I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 5 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
12 min ago