Christie admits NJ mishandled foreclosure program
October 2, 2012 (WABC) -- Not often that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he made a mistake - but that's exactly what he's done - after our investigation into a federally funded program that was supposed to help homeowners in trouble.
Hundreds of millions of dollars were earmarked for the program, but only $40 million was used to prevent foreclosures. You might remember Mr. Christie trying to quiet our investigative reporter Jim Hoffer last week when he asked questions about the program.
Now, the Governor acknowledging that, yes, the program should be active. And now he's making it so. But not before doing some trash talking about why he tried to quiet Jim at a news conference last week.
He said he thought Jim was interrupting a reporter from New Jersey. He wasn't. But here's what the Governor said: "I'm not going to let the home team get run over by the visiting team & not just because he yells a lot. Not just because he's from a New York television station. That doesn't get you anything here."
The good news is that homeowners faced with foreclosure will now have some help. We'll have the latest, tonight at 11.
We'll also preview the big debate tomorrow night - and look at what each Presidential candidate needs to do.
Also at 11, Meteorologist Lee Goldberg is tracking the rain that's lingering in our area. And Laura Behnke, in for Rob Powers who is recovering from shoulder surgery, is following the Yankees, who could clinch the division title tonight. If the weather cooperates.
I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Dave Jennings, former Giants punter, dies 21 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in Nassau County
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease 21 min ago
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer 8 min ago
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos