A deadly police-involved shooting
October 4, 2012 (WABC) -- They are the elite of the elite of the NYPD, and tonight some of their members are under the spotlight - and not for the heroics they usually engage in.
A cop with the Emergency Services Unit shot and killed a 22-year-old man early this morning - and by early I mean 5:15 a.m. - during a traffic stop on the Grand Central Parkway near LaGuardia Airport.
The driver was not armed.
In the back seat were two women - one an off-duty New York cop who was asleep, and the other a bartender at the club where the other two had apparently just left.
The info sheet from the NYPD was - what's the right word? - rather detail-less. But there are certainly more than enough questions to fill several info sheets. Jim Dolan is on this disturbing story for us, tonight at 11.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Amy Freeze (in for Lee Goldberg) with her AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97