Random act of violence
October 10, 2012 (WABC) -- My kids like to use the word "random" - and it fits for certain situations. Like, "Whoa, Dad, that's so random."
I use the word too. But not in the light-hearted way my kids do. In the newsroom, we use it to describe stories, especially those where people are randomly victimized.
Because most of us want things to be logical, and explained, and to make sense. And so often it doesn't.
I'm thinking about random today - and it's about some of the crime stories we cover. Like the son who tries to protect his mom, and both end up getting shot at their bodega in Paterson, New Jersey. Or the woman who went to a supermarket in Norwalk, Connecticut this afternoon and, returning to her car in the parking lot, a man shoots her in the stomach. Out of nowhere. Random.
We're covering both stories - and will have any late developments, tonight at 11.
We're also looking at what some would call a cockamamie proposal to cut down the number of lanes going into the Manhattan-side of the Holland Tunnel and replace them with a pedestrian-friendly park, with tables and chairs, grass, you get the picture.
It's a nice idea, except if you happen to commute using the tunnel. Then, we suspect, you wouldn't want to decrease the number of lanes to get into the under-the-Hudson structure.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports, including highlights from tonight's Yankees vs. Orioles playoff game. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green