Random act of violence
October 10, 2012 (WABC) -- My kids like to use the word "random" - and it fits for certain situations. Like, "Whoa, Dad, that's so random."
I use the word too. But not in the light-hearted way my kids do. In the newsroom, we use it to describe stories, especially those where people are randomly victimized.
Because most of us want things to be logical, and explained, and to make sense. And so often it doesn't.
I'm thinking about random today - and it's about some of the crime stories we cover. Like the son who tries to protect his mom, and both end up getting shot at their bodega in Paterson, New Jersey. Or the woman who went to a supermarket in Norwalk, Connecticut this afternoon and, returning to her car in the parking lot, a man shoots her in the stomach. Out of nowhere. Random.
We're covering both stories - and will have any late developments, tonight at 11.
We're also looking at what some would call a cockamamie proposal to cut down the number of lanes going into the Manhattan-side of the Holland Tunnel and replace them with a pedestrian-friendly park, with tables and chairs, grass, you get the picture.
It's a nice idea, except if you happen to commute using the tunnel. Then, we suspect, you wouldn't want to decrease the number of lanes to get into the under-the-Hudson structure.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports, including highlights from tonight's Yankees vs. Orioles playoff game. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest 24 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger 31 min ago
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Demolition underway after NJ fire;...
31 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze...
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos