NYC terror plot foiled
October 17, 2012 (WABC) -- If someone wants to blow up a building but has neither the resources or ability to do it himself, if not for the federal undercover agents that build the supposed bomb and set everything in motion, is the guy really a threat?
That question may well end up at the center of latest terrorist-act-stopped-before-it-happened undercover sting.
Federal authorities say the answer to that question is a simple and resounding "yes." And the plot they say they've busted is frightening. Quazi Mohammad Navis, a 21-year-old who came to New York in January from Bangladesh with the intent to blow up a high-profile building. That target, federal officials charge, was the U.S. Federal Reserve in Lower Manhattan. And they claim he bragged that he wanted to kill a high ranking U.S. official, perhaps the President.
Navis today attempted to set off what he thought was a 1,000-pound bomb at the Fed. This is 15th terrorist plot thwarted since after the Sept. 11 terror attacks.
The sting started when Navis allegedly posted communications on the Internet. That set into motion an FBI sting, with an operative convincing the suspect they were a terrorist and willing to participate.
Navis allegedly has ties to Al Qaeda. He's set to appear in federal court in Brooklyn. We're there, and in Lower Manhattan, where he allegedly tried to set off the fake bomb. Are there are Navis comrades out there? What else did he have planned? We'll have full coverage and reaction, tonight at 11.
We'll also have any other breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Jersey City water main break affecting service
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 21 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos