Preparing for Sandy
October 26, 2012 (WABC) -- I know some people who scoff at all the warnings, scoff at the extended coverage, and scoff at the predictions that this storm they call Sandy (sounds too much like a nice beach day for a Hurricane's name - but, hey, maybe that's just me) looks like an enormously damaging storm.
I've talked before about the fine line we walk - providing a public service and alerting our viewers about the track of a big storm, and at the same time not wanting to alarm people when it's not warranted. I promise, we talk about these things.
That said, we've been saying for several days that this is a bad storm, and folks in our area should plan accordingly. Now, we're tracking it with increased urgency. Meteorologist Lee Goldberg and his team have plotted the various possibilities - and they're continuing to refine it. As Lee says, it's a storm that will affect millions of people and cost billions in damage. How much of that hits us is the big question.
We're going to an all-hands-on-deck coverage mode, so we will all be reporting and anchoring as the first band of the storm arrives sometime late Sunday afternoon or early evening.
And if the doubters still have doubts - consider this: The Navy has ordered about 2 dozen of its ships, including an aircraft carrier, to leave port in the Norfolk and Virginia Beach areas, starting today. And as I write this, New York Gov. Cuomo has issued an emergency declaration throughout the entire state.
I'm just sayin'.
We'll have the latest on the storm track, tonight at 11. You can also watch all of our coverage online, so if the power goes out, turn to 7online on your laptop, or our Eyewitness News apps for the iPhone and iPad.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11, after 20/20.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach 54 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos