Preparing for Sandy
October 26, 2012 (WABC) -- I know some people who scoff at all the warnings, scoff at the extended coverage, and scoff at the predictions that this storm they call Sandy (sounds too much like a nice beach day for a Hurricane's name - but, hey, maybe that's just me) looks like an enormously damaging storm.
I've talked before about the fine line we walk - providing a public service and alerting our viewers about the track of a big storm, and at the same time not wanting to alarm people when it's not warranted. I promise, we talk about these things.
That said, we've been saying for several days that this is a bad storm, and folks in our area should plan accordingly. Now, we're tracking it with increased urgency. Meteorologist Lee Goldberg and his team have plotted the various possibilities - and they're continuing to refine it. As Lee says, it's a storm that will affect millions of people and cost billions in damage. How much of that hits us is the big question.
We're going to an all-hands-on-deck coverage mode, so we will all be reporting and anchoring as the first band of the storm arrives sometime late Sunday afternoon or early evening.
And if the doubters still have doubts - consider this: The Navy has ordered about 2 dozen of its ships, including an aircraft carrier, to leave port in the Norfolk and Virginia Beach areas, starting today. And as I write this, New York Gov. Cuomo has issued an emergency declaration throughout the entire state.
I'm just sayin'.
We'll have the latest on the storm track, tonight at 11. You can also watch all of our coverage online, so if the power goes out, turn to 7online on your laptop, or our Eyewitness News apps for the iPhone and iPad.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11, after 20/20.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Investigation follows police shooting of student
- AccuWeather: Muggy
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Large tornado touches down near Oklahoma City 31 min ago
- Suffolk County man arrested for sex crimes against children 56 min ago
- Metro North riders forced to find other means 29 min ago
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole
- Young child fatally shot outside Jersey City home
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- Car into Huntington Harbor, 1 dead, 1 rescued 33 min ago
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Metro North riders forced to find other means
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos