The Jets and the "Fiscal Cliff"
December 6, 2012 (WABC) -- Not often that politics mixes with sports but the New York Jets (okay, okay.. they play in New Jersey) are now part of the slippery slopped path that is the fiscal cliff.
Harry Reid, the Senate Majority Leader, said today that the Republican Party in the negotiations to avoid the nation falling off the fiscal cliff has the same problem as the Jets: They don't have a quarterback to follow.
Yes it's a slam on the Repubs but I'm talkin' now about the slam on the Jets. Hey, it's one thing for the quarterback fiasco (I'm refraining out of politeness from calling it an embarrassment) to be water cooler fodder in the tri-state, but when it's suddenly fair game for ridicule in the Beltway, well then that's when it becomes a story.
So forget about the squabbles trying to prevent the country from falling off a fiscal cliff, hey, Jets, get yourselves organized! I'm just sayin'.
Rob Powers will have any new water cooler Jets material, tonight at 11 in his sports report.
Also at 11, Jim Dolan is looking into a disturbing story about folks who bought tickets to the "12/12/12 The Concert for Sandy Relief" turning around and scalping them on the web.
That may be okay for a football game, but for a concert to benefit the survivors of the Sandy disaster? C'mon! Donate that scalped money to the victims, right? Now, U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer is urging the big ticket agencies and resale websites to stop these benefit-robbing scalpers.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Large explosion, fire reported in East Harlem 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 4 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 47 min ago
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos