Rice out, Kerry in?
December 13, 2012 (WABC) -- Can you say Secretary John Kerry? No Las Vegas odds yet about who will replace Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, but if Pres. Obama wants to get through the Senate confirmation process smoothly, perhaps the veteran Sen. Kerry might be the safe bet.
All this is fodder for speculation after U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice abruptly dropped out of consideration for the job today, after she was stung hard by criticism for her ill-advised "talking points" interviews after the disastrous massacre at the U.S. embassy in Libya that took the lives of four Americans.
Ms. Rice told the President the position should not be politicized and she worries that her confirmation process would be held up because of the controversy.
We'll have the latest tonight at 11.
Also at 11, we're looking into who gets all that money raised last night at the benefit concert for Sandy survivors. It may have been the biggest gathering of rock stars for a performance since Woodstock. Jeff Pegues is on the story for us. The concert turns out to be prelude to a bigger question about money: Will the $60 million in aid proposed by Pres. Obama for Sandy relief here be held up by the fiscal cliff fiasco?
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos