Terrible accident on the LIE
December 19, 2012 (WABC) -- It's not often the Long Island Expressway is shutdown in both directions - but it is today.
A terrible accident in Suffolk County - next exit 68, involving a tractor-trailer and car, and then the chain-reaction, involving more than 30 cars.
It was a fiery crash, and we're told there may be fatalities. We know there are at least a dozen at the hospital.
We have several reporters on the scene, and we'll have the latest at 11.
Also at 11, another day filled with pain and heartbreak - this in a town that has already seen so much of it.
Six funerals today from the Newtown gun massacre:
Amid the sorrow - today an attempt to prevent "the next time."
From President Obama. It's not a commission - Mr. Obama made clear - and he wants proposals, led by his Vice President, by the end of January.
Will it be different this time? Different than all the other senseless massacres by madmen with guns? There does seem to be a sea change of sorts after the Sandy Hook Elementary School killings. Even conservatives, those with love affairs with their guns, are making noise that maybe now is the time to outlaw those magazines that hold dozens of rounds of ammunition. Why in the world does anyone need that, unless you're fighting Al Qaeda in Afghanistan?
We have reaction and the latest from Newtown, at 11.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall