Hotter than ever
January 8, 2013 (WABC) -- So how hot was it? Plenty. The official temperature numbers are in, and they show that 2012 was indeed the hottest year ever in the U.S.
And in a science that usually measures temperature shifts fractions of a degree, last year was hotter by a full degree.
Plus - consider this: There were 34,008 new daily high records established across the country. So it's indisputable that there's some sort of climate change going on. What's up for debate is what's causing it.
The warm weather trend is top of mind for many folks - especially as we enjoy the rather temperate temps here in the tri-state. Meteorologist Lee Goldberg tells us how long it will last, in his AccuWeather forecast, tonight at 11.
We're also following several developing stories - including:
The search for the one still missing teen in a frozen lake in New Jersey; a bizarre shooting in Brooklyn involving two off-duty correction officers in a Mercedes and an Escalade, and a possible love triangle; and the arrest of a couple in Westchester County for a party thrown at their home (they have a teenager) where scores of kids showed up and there was booze and marijuana.
And we're talking to Jimmy Kimmel, who tonight starts a new chapter in his career, moving his show up to 11:35 p.m., right after Eyewitness News at 11, and going head-to-head with his idol David Letterman, and Jay Leno.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment 33 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air 38 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fast food workers to strike to demand higher wages 11 min ago
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
38 min ago