Hotter than ever
January 8, 2013 (WABC) -- So how hot was it? Plenty. The official temperature numbers are in, and they show that 2012 was indeed the hottest year ever in the U.S.
And in a science that usually measures temperature shifts fractions of a degree, last year was hotter by a full degree.
Plus - consider this: There were 34,008 new daily high records established across the country. So it's indisputable that there's some sort of climate change going on. What's up for debate is what's causing it.
The warm weather trend is top of mind for many folks - especially as we enjoy the rather temperate temps here in the tri-state. Meteorologist Lee Goldberg tells us how long it will last, in his AccuWeather forecast, tonight at 11.
We're also following several developing stories - including:
The search for the one still missing teen in a frozen lake in New Jersey; a bizarre shooting in Brooklyn involving two off-duty correction officers in a Mercedes and an Escalade, and a possible love triangle; and the arrest of a couple in Westchester County for a party thrown at their home (they have a teenager) where scores of kids showed up and there was booze and marijuana.
And we're talking to Jimmy Kimmel, who tonight starts a new chapter in his career, moving his show up to 11:35 p.m., right after Eyewitness News at 11, and going head-to-head with his idol David Letterman, and Jay Leno.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Missing Malaysia jet may have turned back 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 10 min ago
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt 31 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
27 min ago