Gun control and Newtown, one month later
January 14, 2013 (WABC) -- The first state to act. That's the scarf New York will wear, after the likely vote tonight to make the state's already tough gun control laws even tougher.
And the toughest in the nation.
The bill would expand the state's ban on assault weapons (although it's unclear whether that means you couldn't buy them here or you couldn't even have them here, which would be tougher of course), reduce the allowed capacity in a ammo magazine from 10 rounds to 7, new rules to try to keep guns from the mentally ill, boost penalties for gun crimes, and require private gun sales to include background checks.
The gun lobby is against all this, but Gov. Cuomo, using the ride tide of public opinion for more gun control after the gun massacre of 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
A new ABC News/Washington Post, released this afternoon, says that Americans are more strongly in favor of gun control that any time ever before.
We'll have the latest, at 11.
And we're also looking at the community of Newtown, a month to the day after the shootings, including a proposal to name a school after Victoria Soto, a teacher who died trying to shield her students from the young man with a (quite legal) gun. All of this, on the day before the gun control recommendations are given to the White House.
We're also following the flu outbreak, from what you can do at work to help stop its spread, to where you can get the vaccine.
And on this busy news day, here comes a school bus strike. The union representing the drivers, who at a news conference today suggested that their job is as tough as a surgeon's, said that the 9,000 drivers will walk off their jobs, effective Wednesday morning. About 150,000 New York City students are affected. So what will students do? We'll have the latest, at 11.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 30 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos