Booker and Lautenberg
January 24, 2013 (WABC) -- He needs a "spanking."
Really - that's what Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey said of his fellow Democrat, Newark Mayor Cory Booker, for declaring that he's running for Lautenberg's seat, before the Senator announced his plans for re-election.
Lautenberg's statement to a paper in Philadelphia is the first time the 89-year-old Senator has commented on Booker's rather surprising entry into a race that, at least for Dems, wasn't considered an open seat.
There are many who believe Booker, who is 43, would be a logical candidate for Lautenberg's seat - and the early polls show that - but there are many others who think it was impolitic and way-too-brash for Mr. Booker to simply announce his plans without any consideration and respect for Lautenberg's long service to the country and to his party.
Seems hard to imagine, given the spanking comment, that Lautenberg will step down this way. I'm just sayin'. But politics is a weird business, and you never know. We'll have any new developments, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, and speaking of politics - six men and women who want to be the next Mayor of New York will be on the same stage tonight for a forum sponsored by the Daily News. Should be a fascinating kick off.
We're also following the frightening abduction and attack in Brooklyn today of a 10-year-old girl. Who did this, and where is he now?
And Meteorologist Lee Goldberg tracks the cold belt that has tightened its grip on the Tri-State. He'll also have the latest on any snow that could hit the area tomorrow.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Diana Williams (in for Sade) and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act