Subway platform safety a costly endeavor
January 28, 2013 (WABC) -- So how much is a life worth? Is it worth $1 billion to cut down on the 55 deaths last year when people fell or were pushed or jumped from subway station platforms in New York City and onto the tracks and an oncoming train?
That's what the estimate is, $1 billion, to install sliding doors to block riders from the tracks. And the proposal was before the MTA today during a discussion about platform safety.
Is it worth an added 25 cents a ride? Or 50 cents? Or $1?
Seems unlikely given the financial problems of the MTA. And instead of those gates, which many people feel is the answer, the MTA says it will launch an expanded "public awareness campaign warning people to stay away from the tracks."
Already, in the public address announcements, you can hear the warning to stay away from the tracks. Will that prevent these deaths? Let's hope.
There's also talk about an "intrusion detection technology" to trigger an alarm if someone gets onto the track.
We'll have the latest tonight at 11.
We're also following big developments with the Boy Scouts, which has always had in place an outrageous ban on gay scouts. Now, after more than 100 years of scouting, they are "discussing potentially removing the national membership restriction regarding sexual orientation."
Welcome to the 21st Century. I'm just sayin'.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Liz Cho (in for Sade) and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 58 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday 39 min ago
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid 24 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos