Gov. Christie talks about his weight
February 5, 2013 (WABC) -- So for all those folks who have lost their homes to foreclosure or the other vagaries of the economy, and for all those folks who lost their jobs and haven't been able to yet get back to where they were, we're thinking about Standard & Poors tonight.
The giant rating agency, the world's biggest tonight is accused of "lighting the fuse" that started the financial collapse and the recession. S&P, according to the Justice Dept., knew that it was giving good ratings to "toxic" mortgage-backed investments.
Or as one analyst told another who was questioning the veracity of doing all this: "We rate every deal. It could be structured by cows and we would rate it."
Can you imagine?
Well, yes, we can.
We'll have the latest, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, New Jersey Gov. Christie spoke candidly about his weight today after a self-mocking appearance on David Letterman, where he munched on a glazed doughnut. Today, at a firehouse in Union Beach, Christie said he has a plan to lose weight although he admits he, like other overweight Americans, has had a plan before, to no avail.
Most significantly, the Governor, who likely has designs on running for the White House, admits that his doctor warns him that his "luck will run out," and that's "something I'm very conscious of."
Yes he's the butt of all kinds of jokes. But his honest talk about weight resonates with millions of people, and his more-than-candid admission that his doctor says his "luck will run out" isn't something most people who are eyeing the Presidency would say in public.
I'm just sayin'.
We're also covering the story of two young men who fell through the ice and were rescued by a firefighter at a pond in Central Park this afternoon. They are lucky to be alive.
And our investigative reporter Sarah Wallace tonight takes a close-up look at how reliable eyewitnesses are. "What did you see?" is the name of her investigation, and you'll be surprised to see what's she's found.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire 26 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos