State of the Union
February 12, 2013 (WABC) -- Fired up, ready to go. That was Barack Obama's home-stretch campaign chant back in 2008. Reality took the fizzle out of that mantra after he took office. The economy, Republicans, and the President's apparently deep-seeded penchant for avoiding conflict and confrontation - all conspired to take some of the hope out of Mr. Obama's quest for change.
If you believe the early buzz, the President isn't going to Capitol Hill tonight looking for any hand-holding, ring-around-the-campfire session. Will this State of the Union speech - his fourth as President, not fifth, because his first month in office he gave what's called an "address" to Congress - fear a fired-up, ready-to-go Barack Obama? There are many who predict it will, and that we'll see a more assertive President tonight.
He will push jobs, gun control, withdrawal from Afghanistan, and jobs. Did I mention jobs twice? For good reason, right?
You can watch the State of the Union speech on Ch. 7, on 7online and on our iPhone and iPad apps, beginning at 9, and then a complete wrap up, with our political reporter Dave Evans in Washington, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, Meteorologist Lee Goldberg is predicting just what we don't need: More snow. He's tracking it to arrive for tomorrow night's commute.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, and Rob Powers is at the beginning of baseball's spring training with the Yankees in Tampa. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 42 min ago
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 24 min ago
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year 5 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
42 min ago