Child abuse sting nets Brooklyn couple
March 19, 2013 (WABC) -- Despite the blather about New York being America's safest big city and all, the truth is that there are all sorts of crimes in America's biggest city - huge numbers and, sometimes, hugely grotesque. No shortage of either. And tonight we're following one of them. It is difficult to even write about this. As a parent, I feel my blood boil.
A couple is charged tonight with trying to set up a day care center - but as a front to drug and sexually abuse children. That was their goal, according to a federal criminal complaint. In fact, the complaint says that the woman talked about wanting to have a child, just so he or she could be abused.
As I say, it makes one's blood boil. All of it is "allegedly" of course. But we're on the story tonight at 11.
Also at 11, we saw the dramatic rescue unfold last night at 11 - a construction worker on the Second Ave. Subway site, basically drowning in a wet concrete muck that was swallowing him like so much quicksand. A couple of hundred firefighters were at the scene, trying to figure out how to get him out from the hole - 75 feet below ground. Some clever engineering is what it took to rescue him. Tonight we'll have the latest on his condition and reaction from his family. By the way, click here to see pictures of the hole where the worker fell.
And Rudy Giuliani like you've never seen him before - like many never thought they'd ever see him: As a pitchman in a late-night TV infomercial. The 2-minute commercial is for a company that sells the notion of safeguarding your identity. Did he need the money? The man who for a decade made what we thought was a fortune peddling his expertise as a national security and anti-terrorism expert, now hawking a product on an infomercial - why is he doing this?
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast - the calendar says it's the first day of spring, the temps make it feel like the first day of February! - and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos