Child abuse sting nets Brooklyn couple
March 19, 2013 (WABC) -- Despite the blather about New York being America's safest big city and all, the truth is that there are all sorts of crimes in America's biggest city - huge numbers and, sometimes, hugely grotesque. No shortage of either. And tonight we're following one of them. It is difficult to even write about this. As a parent, I feel my blood boil.
A couple is charged tonight with trying to set up a day care center - but as a front to drug and sexually abuse children. That was their goal, according to a federal criminal complaint. In fact, the complaint says that the woman talked about wanting to have a child, just so he or she could be abused.
As I say, it makes one's blood boil. All of it is "allegedly" of course. But we're on the story tonight at 11.
Also at 11, we saw the dramatic rescue unfold last night at 11 - a construction worker on the Second Ave. Subway site, basically drowning in a wet concrete muck that was swallowing him like so much quicksand. A couple of hundred firefighters were at the scene, trying to figure out how to get him out from the hole - 75 feet below ground. Some clever engineering is what it took to rescue him. Tonight we'll have the latest on his condition and reaction from his family. By the way, click here to see pictures of the hole where the worker fell.
And Rudy Giuliani like you've never seen him before - like many never thought they'd ever see him: As a pitchman in a late-night TV infomercial. The 2-minute commercial is for a company that sells the notion of safeguarding your identity. Did he need the money? The man who for a decade made what we thought was a fortune peddling his expertise as a national security and anti-terrorism expert, now hawking a product on an infomercial - why is he doing this?
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast - the calendar says it's the first day of spring, the temps make it feel like the first day of February! - and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Missing plane may have turned back
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 55 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 18 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014