Basketball coach out at Rutgers
April 3, 2013 (WABC) -- It was never really a question of if; it was always a question of when.
The when happened this morning, when Rutgers University fired its men's head basketball coach Mike Rice less than 24 hours after a video collage went viral, showing Rice kicking and pushing and hitting his players during practice.
He also yelled some homophobic slurs, especially sensitive at Rutgers where the death of Tyler Clemente, the gay student who took his own life after his sexual encounter was put on a computer by his roommate.
Rutgers fired Rice, after a flood of outrage, but now disturbing questions about when officials at the New Jersey state-run university knew about the tape and why they didn't act on it earlier. Rice was suspended in December for 3 games after officials learned of the tape. So why didn't they fire him then? The Athletic Director says he was inclined to help Rice rehab his behavior.
But if those students getting abused and bullied were your kids, what would you have done? What would you have wanted your child to do? Many of these kids are there on scholarship, and so some of them just clamed up. Others did not we know of at least five students who left the program. Does Rutgers have something of a Penn State problem here, with officials knowing but not doing anything about the problem that no one wanted to talk about?
We're digging deeper at 11, where Rob Powers and Jim Dolan head our coverage.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute 27 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014