April 10, 2013 (WABC) -- And you say we don't report good news? Tonight in the 2-square-miles that comprise the 44th New York police precinct in the Bronx, something of a celebration. It's been 53 days since the last reported or recorded shooting. This is an area known for violence, in large part from street gangs, covering the Concourse, Highbridge and Mt. Eden neighborhoods.
The nearly 8-week "streak" is the longest non-shooting spree in recent memory, say authorities, who say the lull is in large part because of an "intelligence-driven" crackdown on gangs.
Tim Fleischer has the story, at 11.
Also at 11, Pres. Obama, campaigning hard for gun control, and county mightily on the family of the victims of the Sandy Hook gun massacre. After talking to them in Connecticut this past week, many of them boarded Air Force One and flew to Washington, where they helped lobby Republican Senators to bring the gun control bill to a vote.
Now, Mr. Obama is handing over his weekly Presidential radio address to Francine Wheeler, whose 6-year-old son Ben was killed in Newtown last December 14. Will all this full court p-r press do any good? There are many who think that while some Repubs are allowing the vote next week, there's little chance of real gun control reform passing. We'll see. But if the brutal murders of 26 people on an elementary school campus - including 20 kids under the age of 6 - don't lead to a crackdown on the out-of-control gun situation in this country, then what will? I'm just sayin'.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Jeff Smith (in for Lee Goldberg) with his weekend AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Yonkers fire injures family of four
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year 25 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen 33 min ago
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Infant brought to NYC hospital by parents pronounced dead 52 min ago
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket