Is it news?
April 30, 2013 (WABC) -- What a fascinating discussion in the past 24 hours about Jason Collins, the veteran NBA center who became the first active pro athlete in a major sport to come out as gay.
So many peeps posted on my Facebook page something to the effect that they don't know him, don't care about him or who he sleeps with, and don't know why this is a story.
Others get the news angle right away. People who do groundbreaking things tend to garner headlines. Would that it be that these announcements aren't a big deal; someday, hopefully, they won't be news.
But they are now. Collins' coming out has also become a social media trend. His Twitter account had fewer than 2,000 followers before the announcement. I checked a few minutes ago, and he's now at nearly 92,000 followers. That's viral.
So kudos to Collins. Couldn't have been easy keeping a secret for all these years.
Rob Powers will have any new reaction, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, we take a closer look at the surveillance video of that violent robbery in Brooklyn on Monday that left a grocery store manager wounded as he tried to protect a cashier who was getting robbed. Who is the robber? Cops now looking for him.
And some good news about home prices - which had their biggest year-to-year boost in nearly 7 years. Prices in all 20 cities in the index saw an increase for the second straight month. That has happened in 8 years. Is this real or just a temporary bubble?
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast (who didn't have a smile on their face today, right?). I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11, right after Diane Sawyer's exclusive interview with Amanda Knox, at 10.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow hits southern New Jersey, heads for NYC 54 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire 40 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Tiempo on WABC-TV