Angelina Jolie's choice
May 14, 2013 (WABC) -- She has used her incredible looks to build quite a career. Now she's using both to make a huge and bold statement. Angelina Jolie going public that she had a double mastectomy because she carried a gene that made it likely she'd get breast and/or ovarian cancer.
Her op-end piece in The New York Times was called "My Medical Choice," and because of that, her chances of getting cancer are down to about 5 percent.
Jolie says she made the decision because her mother, the actress Marcheline Bertrand, died at 56 from breast cancer.
We here at Eyewitness News know all about the BRCA1 gene, and how having it can affect a woman's life and choices. Our reporter Stacey Sager documented her double mastectomy after she tested positive for the "faulty" gene, and she's been an inspiration for so many women in our area.
Now, Jolie can do the same, but on a much grander scale. And for that, she's being hailed and saluted tonight. We'll have reaction, at 11.
Also at 11, we're taking a closer look at the new recommendations to cut the "drunk driving" limit from .08 blood alcohol content to .05. It's a huge slash. So what does that mean for the "average" person? One drink and you can't drive? Our Jim Dolan is on the story.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Bergen County officer hurt in Lodi crash 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer 45 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 36 min ago
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 24 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32 31 min ago
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Bergen County officer hurt in Lodi crash
43 min ago