Confusion, emotions run high after the tornado
May 20, 2013 (WABC) -- The pictures and the sound from the kids, especially, are so emotional. Good news - if we can use those words - is that there are NOT 91 or 51 people killed.
In the confusion - or for whatever reason down there in Oklahoma - the body counts were way overestimated. 24 deaths is always 24 too many. But it's just more than a quarter of the original estimates late last night, so we mourn but breathe a sigh that more weren't killed.
Word tonight that it was likely an EF5 tornado - the most powerful. We'll have the latest from Oklahoma, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, two more anti-gay bias attacks. What the front-door is happening? At least half a dozen attacks that we know of, despite an increased police presence in gay-friendly communities. Are civilian patrols on their way - a kind of Guardian Angels patrol? We're on the story tonight.
And we're at the wake for Andrea Rebello, the Hofstra University junior who was killed a Nassau County cop last Friday during a hostage standoff. The armed home invader was shot 7 times; he had Andrea in a neck hold during the shooting.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014