Black bear found perched in tree in Delran, NJ
DELRAN, N.J. - May 30, 2013 -- Authorities surrounded an area in Delran, New Jersey where a bear was spotted sitting in a tree Thursday morning.
It's been quite a morning for a 356 pound black bear, who found his way up a tree off Route 130.
He certainly knows how to command an audience, with throngs of onlookers gathering in the surrounding area watching the events unfold.
The excitement began around 5:45 Thursday morning. The bear was spotted in a backyard and police were called. Later personnel from New Jersey's Division of Fish and Wildlife arrived.
A perimeter was established and nearby residents were told to shelter in place. Preparations were made to get the bear safely down, with a net positioned below to break the bear's fall.
The animal was hit with the first tranquilizer dart just before 9:00 a.m., and around twenty minutes later another went in before the bear fell.
Once the bear was down he had an on-scene check up. He was weighed, blood was drawn, and a disease profile was performed before being carted off to be released in the Brendan Byrne State Forest in Shamong Township.
This bear has been tagged before. He was in Vineland last year and has been seen recently up and down the Delaware River.
Experts say this is the time of year the males look for females, and can cover 40 miles in a day. So while he's being taken to forests in Shamong, there is no guarantee this is the last we'll see of him.
animals, new jersey, burlington county, eyewitness news
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year 58 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in 23 min ago
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Infant brought to NYC hospital by parents pronounced dead
- Suspect sought for stealing puppy from LI pet store
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
23 min ago