Does anyone care about A-Rod?
June 5, 2013 (WABC) -- I think the real story about Alex Rodriguez perhaps facing a 100-game suspension and maybe no longer being a Yankee isn't that baseball's despicable performance enhancing drug scandal is finally catching up to the highest paid player in the history of the game. Instead, I think the real story is that so few people really care.
A-Rod long ago game up any claim to being a well-loved or even well-liked person, let alone player. Talk to fans and they're quick to mention his hypocrisy or arrogance or womanizing. And then of course there's his performance, which has been, to say the least, less than impressive in the clutch. Maybe if he were 25 and still hitting 50 home runs a year the Yankees would be standing by their man. But he's 38 and not playing at all, so they're not saying much of anything.
They are, according to baseball sources, looking at ways to rid themselves of his $27 million or so annual contract. Does he retire (the Yankees reportedly have an insurance contract for that scenario that will pay the salary due)? Does he get fired for breach of contract because of using drugs? So many fascinating questions. And the fans don't much seem to care - other than hoping he might not come back and be a burden on the field.
We'll have any new developments, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, we'll have the latest on that collapse building in Philadelphia - that injured several people and killed one. Turns out, the owner of the building is a real estate owner from New York, once dubbed "porn king." We're digging deeper.
And we have a life and death story tonight - about bullying. A 12 year old girl - now hospitalized under suicide watch in Queens - after she tried to kill herself. Her parents tell us bullies called her stupid and ugly, and a name no girl wants to be called. The girl's friend - 12 year old Gabrielle Molina - killed herself after she was bullied.
Carolina Leid has our story, at 11.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Laura Behnke (in for Rob Powers) with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Newtown 911 calls released 38 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park 41 min ago
- Wake for one of high school sweethearts killed in crash
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem missing
- Prospect Park Zoo welcomes two new Zebus
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds 15 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos