Privacy vs. protection
June 18, 2013 (WABC) -- It's the same conundrum Americans have faced since the Sept. 11 terror attacks: How much freedom are we willing to give up in exchange for keeping the homeland safe? The question was asked when Congress passed the Patriot Act, and it's being asked again after revelations that the NSA spied on - or has the ability to spy on - virtually all of us.
Today the head of the National Security Agency pushed back against criticisms that listening to phone calls and reading emails violates our civil rights. In a rare Congressional appearance, Gen. Keith Alexander insisted that the NSA spy program has intercepted and prevented at least 50 terrorist attacks since 9/11, 10 of them homeland-based, including the plot to bomb the New York subways by Najibullah Zazi. Zazi has pleaded guilty, and is awaiting sentencing.
So what to do about all this? Continue it? Stop it? Prosecute the former NSA contractor who leaked it all? Or hail him as a hero?
We'll have the latest on the debate, and the latest developments, tonight after Game 6 of the NBA Finals.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast (can we never have just sprinkles any more? Must they always be thunderstorms?), and Rob Powers with the night's sports, including highlights from Game 6.
I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight after the game.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded 56 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 28 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute 51 min ago
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Funeral held for NYPD traffic agent hit by truck
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- Suspect wounded after Brooklyn police...
55 min ago
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela...
52 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
28 min ago