Privacy vs. protection
June 18, 2013 (WABC) -- It's the same conundrum Americans have faced since the Sept. 11 terror attacks: How much freedom are we willing to give up in exchange for keeping the homeland safe? The question was asked when Congress passed the Patriot Act, and it's being asked again after revelations that the NSA spied on - or has the ability to spy on - virtually all of us.
Today the head of the National Security Agency pushed back against criticisms that listening to phone calls and reading emails violates our civil rights. In a rare Congressional appearance, Gen. Keith Alexander insisted that the NSA spy program has intercepted and prevented at least 50 terrorist attacks since 9/11, 10 of them homeland-based, including the plot to bomb the New York subways by Najibullah Zazi. Zazi has pleaded guilty, and is awaiting sentencing.
So what to do about all this? Continue it? Stop it? Prosecute the former NSA contractor who leaked it all? Or hail him as a hero?
We'll have the latest on the debate, and the latest developments, tonight after Game 6 of the NBA Finals.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast (can we never have just sprinkles any more? Must they always be thunderstorms?), and Rob Powers with the night's sports, including highlights from Game 6.
I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight after the game.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos