Privacy vs. protection
June 18, 2013 (WABC) -- It's the same conundrum Americans have faced since the Sept. 11 terror attacks: How much freedom are we willing to give up in exchange for keeping the homeland safe? The question was asked when Congress passed the Patriot Act, and it's being asked again after revelations that the NSA spied on - or has the ability to spy on - virtually all of us.
Today the head of the National Security Agency pushed back against criticisms that listening to phone calls and reading emails violates our civil rights. In a rare Congressional appearance, Gen. Keith Alexander insisted that the NSA spy program has intercepted and prevented at least 50 terrorist attacks since 9/11, 10 of them homeland-based, including the plot to bomb the New York subways by Najibullah Zazi. Zazi has pleaded guilty, and is awaiting sentencing.
So what to do about all this? Continue it? Stop it? Prosecute the former NSA contractor who leaked it all? Or hail him as a hero?
We'll have the latest on the debate, and the latest developments, tonight after Game 6 of the NBA Finals.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast (can we never have just sprinkles any more? Must they always be thunderstorms?), and Rob Powers with the night's sports, including highlights from Game 6.
I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight after the game.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
40 min ago
- Death toll rises to 13 in Mount Everest...
24 min ago