Supreme Court rulings
June 26, 2013 (WABC) -- Don't think this is a nation filled with emotionally charged issues?
Look at the rulings in the past 24 hours from the U.S. Supreme Court - today's rebuke of "DOMA" (Defense of Marriage Act) and the re-incarnation of same-sex marriages in California, and yesterday's elimination of an important element in the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Huge, seismic social shifts in a country that is very much still divided along these lines.
Conservative African-American preachers had a double whammy, losing on both days. But much of America seemed to bat 1-for-1 on the two days of high court rulings - perhaps hurting voting rights for many down south and gaining civil rights for gays and lesbians everywhere.
We're covering today's milestone for same-sex marriage rights, as the woman who started it all - Edie Windsor of Manhattan - reacts, as to gays and lesbians around the country. We'll have reaction tonight at 11.
And we're following the New York City Council, which tonight has called a special meeting for 9 p.m. Say what? Will they be voting on installing an independent oversight monitor for the NYPD?
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Amy Freeze (in for Lee Goldberg) with her AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports, including the latest with the Yankees - more injury problems and more drama with A-Rod. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
45 min ago
- Death toll rises to 13 in Mount Everest...
29 min ago