Supreme Court rulings
June 26, 2013 (WABC) -- Don't think this is a nation filled with emotionally charged issues?
Look at the rulings in the past 24 hours from the U.S. Supreme Court - today's rebuke of "DOMA" (Defense of Marriage Act) and the re-incarnation of same-sex marriages in California, and yesterday's elimination of an important element in the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Huge, seismic social shifts in a country that is very much still divided along these lines.
Conservative African-American preachers had a double whammy, losing on both days. But much of America seemed to bat 1-for-1 on the two days of high court rulings - perhaps hurting voting rights for many down south and gaining civil rights for gays and lesbians everywhere.
We're covering today's milestone for same-sex marriage rights, as the woman who started it all - Edie Windsor of Manhattan - reacts, as to gays and lesbians around the country. We'll have reaction tonight at 11.
And we're following the New York City Council, which tonight has called a special meeting for 9 p.m. Say what? Will they be voting on installing an independent oversight monitor for the NYPD?
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Amy Freeze (in for Lee Goldberg) with her AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports, including the latest with the Yankees - more injury problems and more drama with A-Rod. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases