A coup in Egypt
July 3, 2013 (WABC) -- How bizarre that the first democratically elected President of Egypt is ousted by the same military that ousted the last Egyptian leader. And they're doing it all in the name of getting the country back on the road to democracy.
Is that even possible? That's the real question tonight, after the military coup in Egypt. Pres. Morsi made the fatal mistake of not having any kind of coalition and consensus - and began to mirror the behavior of the dictator he was elected to replace - Hosni Mubarek.
The U.S. has a huge stake in this - politically and financially. In fact, of the $1.6 billion in American aid to Egypt every year, $1.3 billion goes to the military. So did we in effect help fund this coup? I'm just sayin'.
And will the Muslim Brotherhood, the party of Morsi, go quietly into the night? We'll see. Tonight the ousted Pres. Morsi is in an undisclosed location, and is quoted as saying, "Whoever planned this wants to spill the blood of the Egyptian people."
ABC's Alex Marquardt is in Cairo for us tonight at 11.
Also at 11, bad news for Coney Island. The part of the famed amusement park could very well be closed tomorrow, again, because of safety and stability worries about the 270-foot-high Astro Tower. The ride, long inoperable, is swaying, and inspectors are taking no chances. Tough news for tourists and especially merchants, who are counting on holiday visitors to help them recover from Superstorm Sandy.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast for the holiday and the weekend, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos