I give up, It's hot!
July 18, 2013 (WABC) -- Something happens in all this heat, and I've been trying to deny it all week and finally, on the hottest day of this heat wave (it may last up to 7 days!), I've succumbed.
Mellow is not an adjective anyone would use to describe me. But as I walked out of my building today to head to work after a great workout and determined to walk the mile and a half to work, it took about 45 seconds before the blast of furnace air slowed me down and slapped me with a notion I usually flick away like a pesky fly: I was walking slowly and feeling sluggish. No way was I walking to work. And it was all because of the heat.
Normally I would fight any initial urge to slow down. But today I just couldn't. I yielded. And it was a bit liberating, just to give in to the reality that, yes, dangit, I couldn't beat the heat. And I suspect I'm not alone. So what if it stayed this hot for a long time? Ug.
Today's the hottest day of this spell, but it's going to be hot again tomorrow, and Saturday, when some storms will roar through and, hopefully cool things down. And by cool I mean a drop of 10 degrees.
Meteorologist Lee Goldberg is sweating, er, I mean - timing it all out for us, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, they seemed like such a nice couple, living in their rented house on Long Island. So who knew they were running an international call-girl operation over the Internet? Cops do now. Matt Kozar is on the story for us.
And if you're one of those always on the hunt for bargains, head to the New Jersey Turnpike or Garden State Parkway tonight because gas there is 17 cents a gallon less than it will be tomorrow morning. Really.
Oh have you been following the vile and vitriolic and downright stupid tweets from the brainiacs complaining about Marc Anthony singing the God Bless America at Tuesday's All Star Game at Citifield? Marc Anthony, the American citizen and all-around New Yorker? The folks we used to call love-it-or-leavers took to the twittersphere wondering why a "foreigner" who speaks Spanish was singing the Anthem. Can you imagine? Mr. Anthony, always cool and above the fray, responded today in his cool and above the fray way. But what's up with these people? I'm just sayin'.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
And one more note: I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow. This column will return Monday, July 29. Keep cool!
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 15 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
19 min ago
- Baruch College student dies in apparent...
15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
3 min ago