New York City Primary
September 10, 2013 (WABC) -- So who will be the next Mayor of New York? We go a long way to finding that out tonight, as the votes are tabulated in this primary election.
It's called the second most powerful elected office in the country, and tonight the Republicans and Democrats who want to succeed Michael Bloomberg find out how their millions of dollars and months of campaigning have worked out for them.
The five top Democratic candidates have all held elected office. The three top Republicans have never been elected to anything. But remember, the last two Mayors of New York had never been elected to office either until they became the 107th and 108th chief executive of the biggest city in the nation: Rudy Giuliani and Mike Bloomberg.
We're here all night, with the latest results from this important election - in New York City and in some of the important races in other areas. And our Eyewitness News reporters are with all the candidates as they learn the returns, and whether they've won or lost. Our wall-to-wall coverage starts at 10 p.m. and then blends into our 11 p.m. newscast.
We're also following the huge developments in Syria, where everybody blinked today. If we are to believe the missives, Syria has agreed to turn over its weapons of mass destruction, and then hopefully they'll be destroyed, although as we know that can take years. But it's great news, as the U.S. put itself on the brink of military action. Tonight, Pres. Obama takes to the airwaves to make the case to the American people why he should continue to put military pressure on Syria to make sure they carry out this deal put forth by Russia.
Our Jim Dolan is in Washington with the latest.
Meteorologist Lee Goldberg will have his AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers has the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. for complete election coverage.
And a reminder and invitation to join us for the Sept. 11 memorial service, tomorrow beginning at 8:25 a.m. I'll be anchoring the service along with Lori Stokes. And here's a link to my reflection this year, on the 12th anniversary.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 23 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment 16 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday 42 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California 34 min ago
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash 55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos