Odor-control experts coming to Dietz & Watson site
DELANCO, N.J. - September 20, 2013 -- Dietz & Watson has brought in odor-control experts to neutralize the stench emanating from its fire-ravaged warehouse.
The Dietz & Watson distribution center was heavily damaged by a multi-alarm blaze that broke out on September 1.
The company acknowledges that although it has been removing spoiled meat and other debris daily, the stench has lingered.
The odor of the spoiled meat has continued to be distributed by the shifting winds and has caused headaches for area residents.
"The smell is like 1,000 dead animals on the side of the road, sometimes it's so atrocious," said
"I have four cats and with the windows opening during those times, they're sneezing and coughing, so I have to close the windows. It's livable, I understand, they lost a big investment over there," said
In response Dietz & Watson hired Biotrad Environmental out of Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania to go after the odor.
Crews arrived and set up fogging nozzles Friday to aggressively neutralize the foul odors with an aerosol blend of natural and biodegradable plant extracts, diluted with water.
For the beleaguered residents of Delanco, relief cannot come soon enough.
"We're a part of the neighborhood here in Delanco and have been since 2007. We're just as concerned with the odor as anyone in Delanco and we feel that we're making tremendous progress," said Louis Eni, Dietz & Watson CEO.
Meanwhile small fires continue to flare up at the site on occasion.
Officials hope to complete the cleanup in the next week.
new jersey news, burlington county news, fire, eyewitness news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 11 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
19 min ago