Nightmare in Nairobi
September 23, 2013 (WABC) -- Pardon me for being a paranoid dad, but I couldn't help myself. When the first emails crossed the transom this weekend about the terrorist attack at an upscale shopping mall in Nairobi, I texted my daughter, who is spending her fall college semester studying in a foreign country.
Don't think I used the words "be careful" - but I do think I told her "heads up," especially if she wandered into crowded shopping malls. I know, I know, it does little good, but as my grandmother used to say when serving me chicken soup for a cold, "it couldn't hurt."
I know I'm not alone, reacting like that, thinking about family and the small-ball and personal aspects of terror attacks.
But of course we also have to think about the bigger picture here - the Somali terrorists who went in guns blazing and shooting shoppers. More than 5 dozen people killed. Tonight the NYPD says is has "redeployed some of our critical response vehicles to shopping locations" to at the least "give a higher comfort level to shoppers who are going to malls."
Does that work? Perhaps. The hard truth is that, in a free society, we all take huge leaps of faith. We try not to think about getting attacked going to a mall, or into the subway, or when we get on an airplane. Of course, since Sept. 11, it's harder to NOT think about all that. But we have to think about it.
Tonight at 11, we'll have the latest on the attack, and about the increased security here in New York, where security is already high, especially with the U.N. General Assembly in town. We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports, including the Yankees long-shot wild-card bid for the playoffs. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- NYC Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty retiring
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey