No handshake, but...
September 24, 2013 (WABC) -- Détente between the U.S. and Iran? It seems as if something is afoot in that direction. And it seemed as if there would be some sort of bread-breaking today, but it was not to be.
Was Pres. Obama snubbed? Some might see it like that. Mr. Obama made it clear that he wanted to meet and shake hands with Iran's new President, Hassan Rouhani. It's something that U.S. Presidents in the past, for years, have refused to do. But Rouhani's election and his overtures to make some kind of peace - in the wake of the effects of the U.S. economic embargo - have been well-received.
But the refusal of Rouhani has left many scratching their heads. Was it too complicated to explain back home? Perhaps. One official explanation is that there was alcohol being served at the luncheon, and so Rouhani didn't feel comfortable or right going to the event. But Obama toasted with water!
Oh the twists and turns of international politicking.
We'll have the latest on the U.N. General Assembly meetings, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, Nina Pineda and 7 On Your Side take a look at the 7 dumb things many of us do with credit cards. For anyone who uses credit cards - and doesn't pay off the balance every month - this is must-see TV.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports, including the Yankees long-shot wild-card bid for the playoffs. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Jersey City water main break affecting service
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos